Sunday, June 30, 2013

Weekend Away

Friday morning Matt and I set out for a little town in North Georgia called Helen. 


No Georgia trip is complete without a stop at the Varsity. However, this is the Varsity's little bro, the Varsity Jr. Still delicious and greasy though. 


We arrived at our little quaint bed and breakfast after lunch. This was a little early anniversary get away for us. Thanks to my awesome family for keeping little buddy so we could get away with just  us. On a side note.. I think this is super important for us to do. We get so busy and wrapped up in day to day events, it was nice to take time for each other with no distractions. Back to the trip. 


We spent the rest of the afternoon walking around in the cute little town. It's German looking and so festive. We even made some new friends... those that don't say much. 


We went to dinner at a cute little place on the river called Cafe International. Matt went straight for the German fare and I opted to stick with my good ole American food. 


Saturday morning we were up in time for our sweet little inn keeper to provide us a delicious spread for breakfast. We then put our trunks on and headed for the river. 


Not without these special little gems though. Thanks to sister and Pete, they let us borrow their beautiful water shoes from their tubing trip last year. 


This is what we did. Tubing down the Chata something or another River. Just imagine us in those pink tubes you see. It was simply glorious. We had the best time. Enough rapids and calm spots to meet both our wants. 


After our tubing adventure we grabbed some lunch at a cute little spot called The Meeting Place, ran by the sweetest Christian family. Precious. We hit up a few shops and Matt is already starting to get in the football spirit a little early. 


We put on dry clothes and went for a little drive through this scenic highway through the national forest. We weren't really sure where we were going or what we were even getting ourselves into, but the innkeeper said it was the highest spot in GA and you could see several states. 
Sure, why not?


So we get to the top and you have to pay a fee to go up to the observatory thing. Cheap Charlie in me said no thanks, but I was interested in using the restroom before we made the drive back down. This is the part where we encounter our little van driver George. He is just standing there, beside his conversion van, and asks us if we want a ride to the observatory part. Sure, why not?? So we went on up and then realized everyone else had a "I paid for this" sticker on and we didn't. We just tried to stay clear of the park rangers. This was the view from the top. Magnificent. 


We went back into town and had dinner at a yummy little place called Mully's Grill. We strolled back into the tourist area and came up on this traveling animal show. This crazy pirate put this parrot on my shoulder and it wasn't two seconds and he started chewing on my earring. Matt snapped this quick picture before I started totally freaking out and begging the guy to get it off me. No tip for your jar buddy. 


We spent the rest of the evening perched on a little log beside the river doing what I love best. People watching. The top award goes to the guys with the under water metal detectors looking for their ladies a new shiny little something I guess. I don't know what they were doing, but it was pretty entertaining. We had one more hearty breakfast this morning before making the drive back home. We had a great weekend spent with just the two of us. Wonderful weekend with my love. So blessed to call this man my husband!!

2 comments:

G K said...

I love that you and Matt do this every once in a while. Ask me when was the last time DK and I went on a trip together (alone)? I can't even tell you the last time!

Looks like you guys had a great time! Love all the pics!

Keri said...

Looks like a fun time for sure! Glad you were able to get away! I hope Fulton had fun with us! He was so good!