Monday, October 18, 2010

What I'm Reading

First, let me say today was a good day (other than the fact that it is another day of life) was the fact that we got out at 1:30. We had a little plumbing issue at school and they had to shut the water off and well, you just can't have 800+ students at school with no potties. Hot diggity dog! On to what this post is really about.... I am reading 2 really awesome books right now, so let me share with you. First, is Radical, by David Platt. I am doing this with a a group of girls at work in a weekly Bible study. This book will rock your world. It's all about what radical abandonment for Jesus really looks like. He talks about how we need to wake up and realize there are infinitely more important things in life than football, how cute we or our kids are dressed, how nice our furniture is, and so on. We must wake up to countless multitudes who are currently destined for a Christless eternity. I could go on and on. This book is peeling away my heart on the Christian spin to the American dream that our world has created. I have a lot to work on...

And in addition to that, we are reading Living on the Edge-R12 at church and studying it in our small groups. This book is based on Romans 12 and is teaching us how to experience true spirituality. This book has opened my eyes in so many areas. It starts with surrendering it all. Jesus reminds us that we cannot be a Christian on our own terms. Why do I feel like I need to be in control, and that I have the best plan? My Savior knows the best and has the greatest plan for my life, so I must continue to know that my Father's will for my life is far greater than I could ever imagine what I think is best. This is a really cool book too and I would recommend both of these if you are looking for something to dig into. Happy Monday!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those both sound like good books! I'll have to check them out.

Keri said...

Sounds like some great reads...wish I had time to read the mail...musch less a book :)

Melissa Sherman said...

Isn't R12 AMAZING?!? I dare say it is life changing. It has completely changed how I view others, conversations, etc...it's awesome! I have heard about "Radical"...I will have to run out and get that one!