Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sad Day

The last 24 hours has been very sad for our family. My parents got a call last night about 8:45 saying that my grandma's house was on fire. We fly over to find her sitting across the street at the neighbors house watching her house burn. It was the most terrible sight. Let me share with you the blessing in all of this. My grandma goes to bed pretty early and was already asleep when the neighbor walked outside and saw smoke and flames coming from the attic. He runs to the door and begins to pound on it to get her awake. My grandma doesn't live in the greatest of neighborhoods and doesn't open the door for anyone. God obviously put a stir in her heart to see who it was. She had enough time to change her clothes, grab her purse, and get out before the house was up in flames. God is so good!!! We just praise Him that the guy was able to get her up. My grandmother has lived in this house for 50+ years, so to her it feels like her whole life is over.

We went early this morning to see if there were things that could be saved. We were able to save some of her photo albums and a few other very special things to her. Everything else is pretty burned up. Please say a prayer for her and for my dad as he bears the responsibility to take care of the details with all of this now. "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles..."
2 Corinthians 1:3-4
The back of the house, where they believe the fire started.
This is from the den looking into the dining room. We were able to save some of her china that she has had for 50 something years.
This is the kitchen. The Fire Chief said the floor was not safe here, so we couldn't go into the kitchen. Speaking of the Fire Chief, after all the paperwork was complete last night, he prayed with my grandma. It was such a blessing that a Godly man was there last night.
The dining room, where we had many Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners.
My mom is trying to save this picture that we found on the floor. It's a picture of my dad when he was about 6 years old that always hung on the wall.

1 comment:

Keri said...

I still just can't believe it. I wish I could have been able to go over there with y'all today.