Saturday, March 8, 2014

Our Harley Man

Yesterday was tough day for our family. We lost our little Harley. Two days ago he was perfectly fine. Thursday morning we went to take him out and he had a seizure in the floor. It was simply awful seeing him like that. Thursday and Friday morning he just wasn't the same. We had decided to take him to the vet Saturday morning if he hadn't improved. Friday afternoon Fulton and I got home from school and found him. He didn't make it through the day. I knew when we walked in and he didn't greet us at the door, that something was wrong. My heart just fell apart right there. 


This was taken just a few days ago. When we would change the sheets on the bed, he loved to pile in the middle of the pillows. He was always looking for the softest, warmest spot. He was from Mexico after all. 


We had Harley 10 years. I got him right before we got married and it's all Matt and I have known as a married couple. He was a rescue dog and they estimated he was about 4 when we got him, so he lived a good life. And these two bonded instantly. Fulton loved "my Harley" as he called him and Harley tolerated Fulton. Which says a lot, because he usually hid from most children because he was abused by little kids before we got him. 


 He loved to go on vacation. There wasn't a family vacation that he missed. He has been everywhere. He had the best temperament. He was so gentle, loving, and just wanted to be cuddled with. He was never aggressive, angry, or ill in any way. He was such a unique little guy.


This sums up their relationship. Fulton always after him, Harley enduring it. I remember when we got him. This lady I worked with said she had a little dog come up to her house. He had lived across the street from her for a few years and that is the family that abused him. He finally ran away from them (good boy) and lived on the streets for about a month. I guess he wandered back home and they had moved, so he went to her house because she had always loved on him. I offered to take him and I remember Matt meeting me that afternoon and I said, look what I got? We fell in love instantly. 


He probably had two favorite places... the lake and the beach. He loved the sand. We would let him run and run out there and he had a ball. He had many summers at the lake and loved to swim in the water with his life jacket on. Mom and Dad came over last night and kept Fulton busy while we buried him in the backyard. There is a piece of our hearts that is missing today, but we have many good memories to reflect on. We love you Harley man!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so sorry! That just breaks my heart for you. I know how much you loved sweet Harley. Thinking of you guys!

Keri said...

What a sweet sweet post about Harley (as the tears roll down my face as I type). He was such a good dog and loved by so many!
Glad Domino now has a friend in doggie heaven :)