Saturday, December 6, 2014

Cabinet Re-do

We just complete a small kitchen update and the look totally changes our kitchen. 


So, here's the before. We put these granite countertops in about three years ago but didn't really want to do anything with the cabinets yet. I guess I wasn't totally sick of them like I was at this point. 


The cabinets were in good shape, but they were a light wood color and I was kind of over it. Same for the kitchen.. we painted this green when we moved in almost 6 years ago. But at this point I hadn't really broke the news to Matt yet that I "might" want to paint. 


So the process began. I started by cleaning the cabinets with the denatured alcohol. Matt then took all the hardware and doors off. The rest of that day while he was at work, I started the priming. I got almost all the doors primed before he came home. I was so proud of myself. 


This was Friday night as the Thanksgiving break began. We moved the party inside and started priming the attached parts. 



We made a little make shift painting area in our garage.


We took Saturday off because we were at the AL game, but as soon as we got home from church on Sunday we started again. We got everything taped off because we were going to spray the big parts. 
Had either of us ever worked with a paint sprayer... no, but it was a great time to learn. 


And this guy was a pro!! He did awesome!! 
Matt spent literally the entire day Monday painting. This is where I broke the news that I really wanted to paint the walls. But it worked out good because the sprayer went over just a bit and we would have needed to touch up anyways. 


Tuesday started with a quick trip to Lowes to pick out wall paint and then it was back to it for the second coat. We finished the second coat and started painting the walls. Dad was feeling sorry for us trying to do all this and keep a three year old from swimming in the paint, so he came in for reinforcements and helped us on the walls. 


We went from green to gray. Total transformation and I love it. 


This little stinker pot loved "helping" during the process!!


We took most of Wednesday off to visit with Matt's family, but Fulton went to KK and Pops for the night and Thursday we woke up and were determined to finish this thing. Last step was to put the top coat on. We worked all morning to finish that last step. 


We added the hardware back the next day and slowly started to put the room back together. 


I am so pleased with the final product. Matt is so tedious and meticulous and I am thankful for that. He took his time and was determined to do a good job. Can I just tell you that last year when we started getting quotes on someone to do this for us it was up in the $2,000-$3,000 dollar range?! Say what?! We did the whole thing, walls and all, for less that $200 dollars. I am so proud of it too!!


And I completed a little mini project too. Our napkin holder, salt and pepper shaker, and paper towel holder were all a light brown that was the color of the cabinets. I really wanted a change but didn't want to go out and buy new ones because these were perfectly fine. So I followed the same process for the cabinets and used some of the paint for the walls to give them a new look. Fancy right?!


Here's a little side by side comparison of the before and after. We still want to change out the lighting and I would love to add some molding around the ceiling. There's always a project, but I am thankful I have a pretty handy hubby that is always willing to try something new!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

It looks so great!! I'm going to try to talk Alan into doing this to our cabinets!

Keri said...

It looks so good and really brightened up the kitchen...not that it was really dark before. Y'all are much more handy than me. I'm afraid what would happen if I picked up a paintbrush and tried to use it :/

Joy said...

What a re-do!! I love it!! Terry questioned my gray walls and white cabinets when we were moving in, but after he saw it, he immediately said, "HE" did a great job of deciding on those colors! Ha! Men.

Beth Ann Hill said...

I love this! Graham knows I always have a project in mind too :)