Sunday, July 1, 2012

First Timers

Well, we finally did it. We had our first mini vacay away from our sweet Fulton. After a few mild heart palpitations, a family meeting, 4 page Word document and a quiz, we were off for Chattanooga to celebrate (early) our anniversary. You heard that right... I typed a 4 page Word document on "How to Care for Fulton" and made each caregiver take a quiz. Thankfully they all passed. Now Aunt Keri was touch and go and I thought we were going to have to do some remedial courses, but she just likes to see me squirm. 
 
My how the trips have changed now that there is a little bambino in the picture. Poor Matt didn't have many options because I had a limit on how far away we could travel. So, we packed it up Friday and took Fulton to my parents and headed to TN. We really went without any reservations or plans (mainly because this meant I could back out last minute if necessary :) and just drove around until we found a hotel we liked. And we picked a good one. You got a warm cookie upon arrival. My kind of place. 

We were within walking distance of everything so we headed over to Sticky Fingers and dug into some yummy chicken fingers. Delish!

Saturday morning we were up bright and early with our swim attire on because we were heading here....
Whitewater rafting. I know... you are probably thinking geeze, they are getting too old for this kind of stuff. It was so so so much fun. Speaking of old... so our little (and I mean just a mere year out of high school ) boat guide asked how old we were and I said.. as I coughed... 30. He gasps and says, really?! Gosh I thought you guys were a lot younger. I told Matt to tip him big. 

One quick picture before we suited up in our gear and signed our waivers --yikes. No more pictures of this excursion, and it's a good thing I didn't take the camera because I didn't have a dry thread when we finished. Let's just say I didn't fall out of the boat, but someone else did. It was a blast. The river calmed slow and deep at one point and we all jumped out of the boats and just let the current take us. Loved it.

 So we drove back to Chattanooga, cleaned ourselves up and went around the town. It was a hot one.

But we did stumble upon this fabulous little Moon Pie General Store and I personally can't stand the things,  but someone with me loves them.

Matt was a happy little camper after a quick stop in there and several different moon pie flavors later. Uggh.
 Good thing I didn't bring my bike, because they had these puppies ready to rent.

We opted for a movie... gasp.. I know. We never ever go to the movies. It has definitely been over a year, at least. I simply cannot stay awake. But it was a cool spot and we got to do something that our newest addition doesn't allow for us to do very often. After a delicious dinner at this Big River Brewery, no brew for us, only H2O, we took it to the ole hotel and crashed. Long fun day. We came back in town today and were so excited to see our little Fulton. I was worried he would forget us... that is why I did schedule time in his daily activities for him to look at pictures of us and talk about how much he loves us. Hope my family followed the schedule. Thanks to my super awesome fam... KK, Pops, and Aunt Keri rock!! They took such good care of our little man while we were away and we really appreciated the time to get away together and relax.

5 comments:

Keri said...

We had such a fun weekend playing with him! Hope you guys enjoyed your time with each other. Happy early anniversary!

Rebecca said...

I love the 4 page word document. I thought I was bad when I left a 2 page summary when Sammy watched mine for a total of about 4 hours. Nothing is wrong about being thorough!

G K said...

OMG @ the quiz! I could totally see myself doing the four-page document, but my folks would officially label me CRAZY(er) if I'd done the quiz. I LOVE IT!

Good for you and Matt to get away for some grown-up time. You'll find those much more needed as he gets older - ha!

Also, I have a gift for Fulton. Email me your mailing address so I can send it to you soon. I try to get gifts to folks before the kids outgrown them! I think I got a 12- or 18-month in this thing for him -- hope I'm not too late!

G K said...

gerri.kimble@gmail.com

Jessica said...

Maybe I will be ready soon to go on a trip without Jack. I am glad ya'll were able to enjoy it. I does not seem like you were married 8 years ago. Time flies.