Saturday, September 7, 2013

Accomplished

About two months ago my sweet friend Claire talked us into signing up for the Monkey See Monkey Do 5k. It raises money for Camp Smile a Smile, which is for children with cancer. 


After we officially signed up I started trying to get back into running. In college and early in our marriage we both ran and really loved it. But it had been a while. I have been more of a walker type gal over the years. But I knew I wanted to actually run this thing and not just walk it. Friday night Fulton spent the night with KK and Pops because we had an early start this morning. That meant date night with my main squeeze. How refreshing that was!! Love this man to pieces. 


So we made it out there bright and early this morning with our sweet friends Claire and Daniel and Lindsay and Josh. I have finally decided (Claire too) that this whole running thing is a mental thing for me. When I don't actually "think" about it, I can run a lot longer. So I have been running each day, but had not really worked up to running the whole 3.2 miles yet, so I was interested to see how I would actually make it today. Trying to find time to run was the hardest. During the summer Matt would run at 5:00 am and then I would run at 5:30 when he got back and before he left for work. Once school started back, I just couldn't swing the mornings and I have been running at night after Fulton goes to bed. Ugh. It's hard some nights. 


We made it to the finish line. I had 2 goals today: to run the whole thing and not to come in last place. I achieved both of them. My time was 30:32 which Matt totally kicked my tail with his time, but I told him from the start, don't wait on this chunky monkey. I know a 5k isn't much to most people, but it was  a big accomplishment for me. Someone who is clearly way out of shape, 
but trying to work her way back in. 

2 comments:

Keri said...

Way to go and I totally think the shoes made you run faster :)
Seriously, great job! I'm not going to even tell you what my time was for the the Color Me Rad 5k...you definitely kicked my tail :)

G K said...

Way to go, Kristen!! I don't know what you've been told, but your time is pretty awesome. Especially considering you haven't really run in years. Be proud!!